Friday, May 27, 2005

Girls Rule

Qando links to a poll showing 53% support for Hillary Clinton in '08. That's exciting. I don't know if I like her or not, but the part of me that is still playing Girls vs. Boys in kickball is jumping for joy. It would be great to have a female president, but not at the expense of having a good leader so I will reserve judgement. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of women felt this way.

A big gender gap. Six of 10 women but 45% of men were likely to support her.

That's not really surprising, though why not say 60% of women and 45% of men. I hate it when they round like that. It's probably like 6/10 women and 5/10 men. But this way it sounds like there is some HUGE gap. I hate journalists.

In the new survey, more than seven in 10 Americans said they would be likely to vote for an unspecified woman for president in 2008 if she were running. One in five said they wouldn't be likely to vote for her.

Karen White, political director of the liberal group Emily's List, says the findings underscore growing acceptance of women as candidates, even for president. "People realize that women reach across party lines and are problem-solvers, and they want to see more of that in public life," she says.

Voters under 30 were by far the most likely to say they would support a woman for president. More than half of them said they were "very likely" to vote for a woman, compared with less than one-third of those 50 and older.

I find the age gap in the last paragraph begins to confirm my suspicions about the generational differences in the US. Younger generations I think have very different views on the roles of men and women. It strikes me that debates on women in certain fields may be started by people in generations that are less accepting of women. I think that as these old men retire the workforce may even itself out and salary gaps may begin to close. But that may just be wishful thinking.

Anyway, Chicks for President!

Update: Atrios has a post on this as well.

No comments: