Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Call the ASPCA

I love animals. I feel that since humans have taken over this planet we have a responsibility to care for the furry things whose homes we have made more dangerous or non existant. Especially the critters who we have domesticated. (Horses, cows, dogs, cats... not really chickens cause they are annoying, but you get the idea.) So obviously I would not be pleased when I read the following excerpt from James Dobson's book (from Hullabaloo):

"When I told Sigmund to leave his warm seat and go to bed, he flattened his ears and slowly turned his head toward me. He deliberately braced himself by placing one paw on the edge of the furry lid, then hunched his shoulders, raised his lips to reveal the molars on both sides, and uttered his most threatening growl. That was Siggie's way of saying. "Get lost!"

"I had seen this defiant mood before, and knew there was only one way to deal with it. The ONLY way to make Siggie obey is to threaten him with destruction. Nothing else works. I turned and went to my closet and got a small belt to help me "reason" with Mr. Freud."

"What developed next is impossible to describe. That tiny dog and I had the most vicious fight ever staged between man and beast. I fought him up one wall and down the other, with both of us scratching and clawing and growling and swinging the belt. I am embarrassed by the memory of the entire scene. Inch by inch I moved him toward the family room and his bed. As a final desperate maneuver, Siggie backed into the corner for one last snarling stand. I eventually got him to bed, only because I outweighed him 200 to 12!"

How insecure do you have to be to have power struggles with your dog? Yuck. Someone should call the ASPCA and I will adopt Mr. Freud, he can come to tiny apartment and he can sleep wherever he wants and chase my cats. It will be lovely.

This excerpt is from Dobson's book(The Strong Willed Child), if this is how he treats his dog, I don't want to know how he treats his kids. Psycho. This book is part of his program "Focus on Family" which is to be advertised during ABC's Supernanny.

Now, let me just say, I think the Nanny who stars in this show would be DISGUSTED to see/hear/read this man's theories on child rearing. She is british so I doubt she'll find out about it. (I like Nanny 911 better, but both shows make me realize how lucky I am that my parents are semi-rational.) Any good this show is doing will be undone by this man's idiocy. Here is a link to Max Blumenthal who has contact info for the FCC, if you are as idealistically outraged as I am then you should write them an outraged note. I know I am going to.

No comments: