Friday, June 24, 2005

Cheap Lines

The events of this week seem to have stirred up something among the Americans who are still actually paying attention to what the government does. Some People have taken the remarks of Dick Durbin and the similar remarks of Karl Rove and used them to attack the other side. Fortunately many others have recognized them for what they are; Rhetoric.

Karl Rove took the time to educate us on what the Republicans "stand for" (from Balloon-Juice)

Conservatives believe in lower taxes; liberals believe in higher taxes. We want few regulations; they want more. Conservatives measure the effectiveness of government programs by results; liberals measure the effectiveness of government programs by inputs. We believe in curbing the size of government; they believe in expanding the size of government. Conservatives believe in making America a less litigious society; liberals believe in making America a more litigious society. We believe in accountability and parental choice in education; they don't. Conservatives believe in advancing what Pope John Paul II called a "culture of life"; liberals believe there is an absolute unlimited right to abortion.
It is one thing to believe something and something else entirely to actually do it. I've been a girl long enough know to recognize cheap lines when I hear them, and those are some cheap lines Karl, this is what I am hearing;
"America, honey, you know I love you, you know I would never do anything to hurt you. I know your girlfriends think you should leave me because of what I did to you when we were in Guantanamo. But you know I love you and I promised I wont do it again, remember you were angry too. Your friends are trying to poison us. Deficit? Honey I know I told you I'd fix the deficit, but I've been so busy with the War on Terror. I'll fix it next weekend okay? Bin Laden! Honey I told you not to worry about that. Now I've got a surprise for you remember how I told you we were gonna go on Social Security Reform last January? Well how about we plan on doing that in August okay, it'll be great, just you and me and our private accounts. Now come on sweety......let's go to bed...........we can work on our Culture of Life."
Unfortunately the reason there is still so much domestic abuse in the world is because not all people can recognize a load of bull when they hear one.

No comments: